Smiths’ Songs? Check.
Yes, 500 Days of Summer, you had me at the first scene when your main characters both had Morrissey and Smiths album covers on the wall in their rooms as sullen teens. Couple that with a few heartbreaker Smiths songs, and you have the perfect little movie.
Oh, the plot is pretty good, too.
500 Days of Summer Soundtrack
As any fan of Mad Men knows, the baby-daddy of the show, Matthew Weiner, is obsessed with getting every detail of Mad Men historically correct no matter how small… (The current season is set in 1963.) But, in this day and age it turns out there are people out there that are more obsessed than he – especially in the font department. (New word of the day for me: historicism)
Turns out Weiner (or someone involved with the show) even stepped into the same shitstorm as IKEA did a few weeks ago, as they dared to use crappy Microsoft wanna-be Arial as his closing credit font (gasp!) instead of the classic and more age-appropriate Helvetica. I think I’ve finally got it: when in doubt, never fuck with Helvetica or Futura!
The font in this ad for Season 3 seems to be, thankfully, age-appropriate and all’s right with the world again. (Also, I really just wanted to post this shot of the gorgeous Don Draper aka Jon Hamm.)
If you’re interested in all the minutia, here’s a great article by Font God Mark Simonson from last year.
There’s another great website out there that collects “found things” such as notes, drawings, photos, etc. that people find on the street or where ever. This one really made me laugh.
Well folks, it was three years ago this week that Nacho Underpants was born. To celebrate, I will be posting links to some classic posts all this week via my Twitter page. When I started this blog, it really was more because I wanted to be the next Perez Hilton and get to become famous for doing really nothing except sitting on a computer all day. Then I realized that Perez Hilton is a tool.
No, I didn’t become famous (outside of getting listed in Chicago Magazine as one of 171 Best Chicago Websites in 2008), but all in all it’s been fun writing for you average of 200 people per day. It’s been a great way to fill that inner-need to be a ham. (Or a Liver Sausage Pineapple.)
Viva La Pants!
No, they didn’t win anything – but I just needed an excuse to post this lovely picture of Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords. I still love them even though they pretty much “phoned it in” when I saw them here in Chicago a few months ago.
Like I don’t have enough ways to waste time on the interwebs – along comes lamebook.com. Lamebook is your one-stop shopping experience for all lame Facebook posts. I must be a voyeur deep down, because I could spend hours reading other people’s ridiculous posts – and if you add up the time I spent doing that during this week – I probably did.
A few observations:
- Spelling in this new world is beginning to alarm me.
- People really will post anything, no matter how mundane or personal.
- I weep for our future.
Lamebook : From Lame to Fame.
Who knew that Miracle Whip makes the “World’s Best Meatloaf?” Frankly, I think the only miracle about Miracle Whip is that people actually think it tastes better than mayonnaise. I think it has something to do with what you had as a child – most people I know that love the Whip are those whose Mom made tuna salad (or some equally mayonnaise-y thing) with it. (Or, someone who had more than six siblings…) To me, it tastes like mixing sour cream and sugar together and I really hate it. But, to each his own – I like to eat dry Lipton’s Noodle Soup Mix right out of the envelope, so what do I know?
Anyway, if you like the MW, then have at this 1955 meatloaf recipe which proclaims to be the “World’s Best!” I have to say, I am loving the crinkle-cut beets – I might have to try that sometime. And, who doesn’t love a ring of meat filled with mashed potatoes? That just seems un-American.
So, for some reason, my 303 Taxi Sucks post from last year seems to be quite popular and is always in my Top 10. (Probably because if you Google 303 Taxi, my post is the second one that comes up.) Well, move over 303 Taxi Sucks and make room for the new and improved 303 Taxi Still Sucks!
Yes, 303 Taxi fucked us again! You would think I would have learned, but actually it wasn’t me personally, but a friend of mine who was trying to leave a party at our house we had over the weekend. So, you could say I was indirectly involved.
So, we have a party. This particular friend was smart enough to figure that he shouldn’t drink and drive and took a 303 taxi to my house for said party. Amazingly, 303 Taxi managed to get he and his girlfriend from his house to mine with no problems. The real problem arises when he decides that perhaps he would like to do the OPPOSITE and go from my house to his at 1am. This must have set off some alarm bells at 303 Taxi Headquarters as this is what happened next:
- My friend calls 303 Taxi, they say they’ll be at my house in 20 minutes. My friend and his girlfriend say their goodbyes and go wait on my front stoop at the time the taxi is supposed to arrive.
- 15 minutes after the original 20 is up, I realize they are still waiting and ask who they called. When they told me it was 303 Taxi I somehow knew it would go down bad because that’s “how it rolls” with 303 Taxi.
- They call 303 Taxi again – the dispatcher tells us that someone called them from our house and cancelled the taxi, so that’s what they did. We find this odd since no one knew they were leaving via taxi but them, and they had used his cell phone to call, not my house phone. So, he re-orders the taxi. Now it will be another 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes – no taxi. My friend calls again and this time they tell us that they had called back the number he gave them to confirm the taxi and no one answered , so they cancelled the taxi. The number he gave them (he made them read it back) was his cell, and we had been sitting outside the whole time and his cell phone never rang. He re-orders the taxi. Another 20.
- Another 20 goes by and still no taxi. We call again and this time I talk to them. They tell me that the taxi was farther away than they thought and it would probably be another 10-15 minutes. At this point my friend is getting pissed as he’s no spring chicken and he really just wants to go home. It’s now over an hour since the original call and it’s still not there. Lucky for him, about 10 minutes later another friend was leaving at this point and was nice enough to drive them home even thought it’s a little out of his way. Kudos to this friend! (You know who you are!)
- When they were almost to his house (a good 30-40 minutes later) his cell phone rang and it was 303 Taxi telling him that the driver would be at my house really soon. Obviously at this point my friend explains he already got a ride and is home already since he’d been waiting for so long and the caller got snippy with him because he didn’t cancel the taxi when he decided to take the ride with my other friend!
So, let’s sum up: Almost TWO HOURS after my friend placed the original call, the taxi was still not at my house but yet they are pissed off that he didn’t cancel the call when he figured out that 303 TAXI SUCKS and would really be picking him up at 20 minutes past NEVER? WTF?!
Yes, 303 Taxi, you still suck. (You’ve ruined my old area code for me, too.)
Today, someone got to my blog by typing the following into Google:
“I like my toilet plunger”